Gifts and deals are different ways to give members a discount on their purchase.
Although both gifts and deals can provide the same types of discounts, they have many differences. Gifts are personal one-time coupons that members receive, while deals are general reusable promotions that automatically apply to eligible purchases. Here are the key differences:
|Once created, gifts are sent to specific members using an Activity or Filter Members (such as a rule that sends members a specific gift when they join the program).||Deals are created but do not need to be sent to members.|
|Gifts are only redeemed in a purchase if the member requests to redeem it during checkout||Deals are automatically applied to a member's purchase at the POS upon checkout (without them asking)|
|Gifts can be redeemed only once (one-time coupon)||Deals can be applied to multiple purchases for each member (unless you specify a limit)|
|Gifts appear on the member's gift list—on the POS, in the app, in the customer portal, or on the business' ordering website||Deals are not displayed, unless the business promotes it somewhere|
|Gifts can be added to your app Point Shop, so members can buy them with their points||Deals cannot be purchased with points|
Typical Flow for Gifts
- The business creates a gift (such as a coupon for 50% off cocktails on Friday).
- The business creates a one-time activity to send the gift to a group of members at once, or creates a rule to send it to members individually (such as when they join the program).
- The member identifies at the POS (usually using their phone number) and tells the cashier which gifts they want to redeem on this purchase.
- The cashier selects the gift from the member's gift list and if eligible, the discount is applied to the purchase.
Typical Flow for Deals
- The business creates a deal (such as 3 beers for $10 during happy hour).
- The member identifies at the POS (usually by phone number).
- Before payment, any eligible discounts are automatically applied to their purchase. For example, if it's happy hour and they buy 3 drinks, they will get them for $10.