Here’s what you need to know about creating a new gen app for businesses that already have an app.
Before You Start
Check that all the button actions and screens from the existing app are supported by the new app. Button actions and screens that aren’t supported will still work in the old version (Zapp) but will display an error in the new gen app. If these unsupported components aren’t essential features, you may be able to make adjustments to the apps to enable them to migrate.
By default, all Hub menus related to the new gen app are hidden for all users and businesses. It will be enabled to specific businesses as required.
These are the essential steps for creating a new gen app. Additional steps may be required.
- Create widgets for your Home Screen.
- Add a navigation bar.
- Create a side menu (optional).
- Choose your colors.
- Add your logo for the app header (from custom icons).
Certain buttons, screens and settings are shared for both the old app and the new one. Pay special attention to settings that could affect both, such as:
- New color scheme—affects internal Como web views in both apps (ex: registration form)
- Design—changes to the default icon set or the font affect both apps
- Custom icons—if default icons were overridden in the old app, override them in the new one
- Location buttons—buttons configured from the location layout will appear in both apps
Once the new gen app is configured, it needs to be submitted to the app store as a new gen app. Once the app is live, app users will need to upgrade their app on their device to use this version. You can also see whether or not the user upgraded to the new app version from the opened the app log in their Hub profile.
Note: The new gen app only supports one splash screen (Splash 2 in the Hub settings), and the file type of the image must be PNG.